Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A found memory...


I will never forget those days in the summer with my Aunts, cousins, Sister and Brother. Those were some of the best days of my life growing up wild and free spirited miles from the nearest town.

I have to thank my Gramma and Grampa for allowing us kids to come up countless summers and staying with them, feeding us and keeping us entertained.

Some of my favorite times were: rock picking with gramma, pulling calves with grampa, swimming in the reservoir with all of us kids, three-wheeler rides to Britmyers and back (at least 60 times a day), playing Barbies with Whit, Harvest, trips to Harlem to wash cloths, catching frogs, riding the horse around the house, cats/dogs/raccoons....ahhhh the list could go on and on. I would have to write a book with all the special memories I have.

I have been crocheting a blanket for our little guy this past week and it took me back to the time when my Gramma taught me how to crochet. I can still see her in her crocheted slippers and purple robe in the Big Orange Chair rocking back and forth knitting or crocheting. There was a time she would whip Whit or I up a doll out fit or blanket then there came a time when it was time for us to learn.

I have to laugh now as I am flying through this blanket because I can still hear my Gramma reminding me about why I need to do this or that and me asking why I need to and why I couldn't do it the way I wanted too. Well it's because you will end up with a triangle she would say. I have almost had a triangle twice now: )

Grandparents are very special and I think I was lucky enough and still lucky enough to have two of the best grandparent there ever were. Not only did I learn to crochet over the summers but I was taught what family is and what love is. And that no matter what we will always be there for one another and love one another.

My grandmothers favorite saying to this day is "if you can;t say something nice...don;t say anything at all" I still have to remind myself of this on most days but I am trying.